I don’t believe in big government, and I especially don’t believe in big government and big business colluding. Many on the political left often blindly attack big businesses. In the context of education, I think they are rightly justified to criticize big business. Big corporations can be a big problem when they have cornered the market. Sadly, many leftists don’t quite realize the thing they rightly disagree with often funds the party and politicians they tend to vote for. To be fair, the same can be said about many Republican voters. They blindly vote for a party that doesn’t represent a true separation between government and business.
Someone recently shared a Google Doc with me that shows just how stunningly Gigantic London based Pearson really is. The title of the document is What Pearson Owns (Or Has a Significant Interest In). When you really think about how much these guys control, and how much of education they have their fingers on, it should concern you a little bit.
I think maybe the most stunning thing about this document is how little contrast there is in education around the world. This much interest cobbled up in one company borders on dangerous.
Anyway, interesting document, curious what thoughts you may have. Just so you know, I’m not saying the document is 100% accurate. I have not fact checked it, but many of the random searches I performed as I went through it showed that the products/services are Pearson’s:
So, here’s the idea:
I want to start with a list of companies, products and resources that Pearson owns (or has a significant interest in). I’d like to crowd-source this list. If you’re interested, just add to the list and post a link where you found it. At some point, I want to create a web-based search that will allow people to type it in with a simple “Is this owned by Pearson?” question.
Companies, startups, websites, etc.
- Write to Learn: http://www.writetolearn.net/
- Textbooks (could be an entirely different list)
- Penguin Publishing
- NovaNet: http://www.novanet.com/
- Info Please: http://www.infoplease.com/math/knowledgebox/fractioncafe.html
- Clarification: Pearson has the contract for the SCORING of tests and ePortfolio for NBPTS (Nat’l Board for Professional Teaching Standards) http://www.pearsonvue.com/nbpts/ Pearson bid for and won this contract for scoring. They do not create the portfolio criteria nor do they create the assessments. They do not own NBPTS.
- Prentice Hall
- Pearson Longman
- Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium
- Success Maker
- Acclaim badge system
- American Council on Education
- Pearson Evaluation Systems (This one of two primary teacher testing companies in the US. They used to be National Evaluation Systems until Pearson purchased the company. The other company is Education Testing Service.)
- Pearson Tutoring Services: http://www.pearsontutor.com/
- Coursera MOOCs: http://labs.pearson.com/tag/mooc/
- Tutorvista: http://www.tutorvista.com/
- Smarthinking Tutoring Services: https://www.smarthinking.com/
- Power School: assessment / data management system http://unitedoptout.com/boycott-pearson-now/
- Achieve and PARRC assessments: http://unitedoptout.com/boycott-pearson-now/
- America’s Choice: http://unitedoptout.com/boycott-pearson-now/
- Connections Academy: http://unitedoptout.com/boycott-pearson-now/
- Pearson Foundation: yet another “non-profit” http://www.pearsonfoundation.org/
- Financial Times
- Open Class Learning Mgmt. System: http://chronicle.com/blogs/wiredcampus/pearson-and-google-jump-into-learning-management-systems/33636
- EDC (a “nonprofit”) – number one funder is Pearson http://www.edc.org/about
- Teacher evaluations systems like this: http://www.nystce.nesinc.com/NY_annProgramUpdate.asp
- Program for Licensing Assessments for Colorado Educators (CO’s teacher licensure exam)
- NYS’s new edTPA program for certification (video analysis, etc) http://www.nystce.nesinc.com/NY_annTPA.asp
- Adobe Press http://www.adobepress.com/about/
- Stanford Achievement
- PearsonVue delivers millions of high-stakes tests a year across the globe for clients in the licensure, certification, academic admissions, regulatory, and government testing service markets. It boasts the world’s leading test center network, with over 5,100 test centers in 175 countries, 400 of which are fully-owned and -operated Pearson Professional Centers. Includes Synergy.
- SchoolNet http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-04-26/pearson-agrees-to-acquire-new-york-based-schoolnet-for-230-million-cash.html
- Teacher Certification tests for the state of Missouri in all areas, pre and post program
- My English Lab
- Publishers (creators/focus groups/publishers) of the state of Texas State STAAR/TAKS Assessment for TEA (Texas Education Agency) www.pearsonaccess.com/cms/tx
- BBC Active
- PearsonVUe electronic fingerprinting (Texas) http://www.pearsonvue.com/tx/insurance/electronic_fingerprint_process.pdf
- Versant and Ordinant language testing system for Texas alternative certification http://www.versanttest.com/news/teachers.jsp
- THEA test for TX students entering college w/basic skills http://www.thea.nesinc.com/TA_QT_whentotest.asp
- Certification test for Oklahoma Educators CEOE http://www.ceoe.nesinc.com/
- New York State Teacher Examination http://www.nystce.nesinc.com/NY17_testdates.asp
- NES NAtional Teacher Certification https://www.nestest.com/
- Quotient: Test for ADHD: http://www.quotient-adhd.com/products/quotient-adhd-system
- Safari Flow
- Peachpit Press
- Pearson Access (pearsonaccess.com) – delivering standards-based online tests for K – 12 in multiple states including VA
Pearson has a number of publishing imprints:
- Addison-Wesley Professional (formerly Addison Wesley)
- Adobe Press
- Allyn & Bacon
- BBC Active
- Benjamin Cummings
- Causeway Press
- Cisco Press
- enVision Math
- Exam Cram
- Financial Times
- FT Press (formerly FT Prentice Hall)
- Ginn and Company
- Harvester Wheatsheaf
- Heinemann (formerly Heinemann Education)
- IBM Press
- Macromedia Press
- Maths Champs
- MySQL Press
- New Riders
- Novell Press
- Oliver & Boyd
- Payne Galway
- Pearson Longman (formerly Longman)
- Pearson Scott Foresman
- Penguin Books
- Pi Press
- Prentice Hall
- Que Publishing
- SAMS Publishing
- Silver Burdett
- VangoBooks (textbooks)
- Wharton School Publishing, with Wharton School
- York Notes
(Links below lead to sites in Portuguese)
- Branch of the Wall Street Institute School of English
- Part owner of Companhia das Letras (Publisher)
- Casa do Psicólogo (Psychology and Education)
- Grupo MULTI (ELT)
- PTE (Tests for learners of English as a foreign language):
- Young Learners – ages 7 -13
- General – ages 14 and up
- NAME system
- COC system
- Dom Bosco system
- Pueri Domus system
- Editora Objetiva: Alfaguara, Suma, Fontanar, Foglio, Ponto de Leitura (Publisher)
Properties of Pearson Canada
- Prentice Hall,
- Addison Wesley,
- Allyn & Bacon
- Pearson Achievement Solutions,
- Allyn and Bacon, Merrill,
- Pearson Australia, Heinemann,
- STEPS PD,
- Marilyn Burns Education Associates/Math Solutions,
- Teacher Ideas Press.
- Pearson Canada Assessement http://pearsonassess.ca/haiweb/Cultures/en-CA/default.htm
Under Pearson Technology Group
- FT Press publishes high quality books in the areas of General Business, Finance and Investing, Sales and Marketing, Leadership, Management and Strategy, Human Resources, and Global Business.
- Peachpit Press publishes the books that educate professionals and innovators in graphic design, desktop publishing, multimedia, Web publishing, and general computing, A to Z.
- Que Publishing works to produce superior books designed to make people’s lives easier, more dynamic, and more enriched. With over 20 years experience dispensing practical advice on computers and technology, Que takes pride in their ability to provide tools needed to enhance personal and professional lives.
- SAMS Publishing is focused on teaching working programmers, developers, and systems administrators the skills they need to build and maintain leading-edge technology. From introductory tutorials to comprehensive reference books covering operating systems, networking, databases, web development and design/programming.
- Addison-Wesley Professional publishes high-quality and timely information for programmers, developers, engineers, and system administrators.
- Prentice Hall Professional Technical Reference has been a leader in engineering and technical publishing for more than 70 years. With networking, wireless, e-commerce database, and Unix lists, PHPTR is the official publisher of Sun Microsystems, IBM, Financial Times Business Books, Hewlett Packard, and others.
- Cisco Press is the only Cisco Systems-authorized book publisher of Cisco networking technology and Cisco certification self-study materials designed to help networking students and professionals prepare for Cisco certifications and master a diverse range of technologies.
- InformIT is a leading information technology portal that publishes technical articles, tutorials, and sample chapters in key technology areas. The InformIT Safari Bookshelf delivers the full text of over 1500 fully searchable books online. InformIT’s Exam Cram 2 offers guidance for those seeking professional certification, including free practice exams. The InformIT bookstore offers competitive discounts and free domestic shipping on all orders.
Press, Links, Information about Pearson
- Great article on Pearson’s role (and start) in Texas http://www.texasobserver.org/the-pearson-graduate/
- MicroDocumentary about Pearson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz3OdGrC-UI&feature=youtube_gdata